Understand where your valuable users come from so you can optimize your marketing
The User Acquisition tab in the Play Console provides detailed information on how users find and acquire your app. It also reports on how users go on to buy your in-app products—all without you having to set up and create complex reporting.
Why it works
Whether you pay to acquire users or not, you want to know their origin. The snapshot provided by the User Acquisition report enables you to see the sources of your most valuable users — across organic and paid traffic — and better understand where to focus your marketing and acquisition efforts.
- Compare and watch cohorts. In the Performance report, a cohort is a group of users who've visited your app's store listing during a selected date range. Use this when, for example, you update your app's icon on Google Play to see how it affects installs and in-app purchases. You can do this by selecting cohorts before and after your app update, and measure how your change impacted conversion rates. You can also use these cohorts to watch how changes in advertising, availability, and competition affects the number of users joining your base.
- Examine and monitor acquisition channels. For your defined cohort, you can explore how user behavior and value differ between acquisition channels, such as organic Google Play traffic, Google Ads campaigns, tracked channels, and searches. You'll find that some channels produce more installs, while others bring better buyers. Drill down into specific channels to explore user behavior in detail and use the understanding gained to determine where to focus your acquisition campaigns.
- See users. Get stats for all store listing visitors (users who visited your app's store listing) and installers. Use these stats to understand how prospects are converting into users.
- See buyers. If you sell in-app products, the funnel report can tell you about new and repeat buyers. See average revenue per paying user and benchmarks, to compare your app's performance to similar apps, at every stage of the acquisition funnel. Use this report to understand how quickly your in-app products and subscriptions are gaining traction with users.
- Explore how countries behave differently. Users in different countries rarely behave the same. Filter user acquisition data by country to measure, for example, the effectiveness of campaigns targeted at specific countries.
- Compare conversion rates. See how you're doing compared to others with user acquisition benchmarks. These benchmarks compare your app's conversion rates to similar apps on the Play Store.
- Utilize UTM tags. Third-party advertising can be broken out in the funnel by using appropriate UTM tagging. Take advantage of this feature to understand the effectiveness of these partners.
- Understand your peers and opportunities. Benchmarks in the Play Console provide a "how am I doing?" check. Use these benchmarks to reveal the greatest opportunities for growth in your product.